Senior Data Governance Manager – Mining – London
Day rate: £650 – £850 (inside IR35)
Duration: 9 months contract
Hybrid: 2 days per week in London
As a Senior Data Governance Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and leading our data governance initiatives to maintain data quality, compliance, and security. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to define and implement data governance strategies, policies, and procedures, ensuring that data is a valuable and trusted asset for our clients.
Roles and responsibilities
Data Governance Strategy: Collaborate with key stakeholders to define and execute a comprehensive data governance strategy that aligns with business objectives and regulatory requirements.
Data Governance Frameworks: Apply industry-standard data governance frameworks, such as DAMA (Data Management Association) and DCAM (Data Management Capability Assessment Model), to structure and guide data governance efforts.
Operating Model: Develop and implement a robust data governance operating model that defines roles, responsibilities, and governance processes throughout the organization.
Data Mesh Principles: Apply data mesh principles to establish a decentralized approach to data governance, ensuring data ownership and accountability are distributed across various teams and domains.
Policy Development: Develop and implement data governance policies and procedures, including data classification, data ownership, and data retention policies.
Data Quality and Compliance: Monitor and enforce data quality standards and ensure compliance with relevant data protection regulations, such as GDPR and CCPA.
Data Security: Implement robust data security measures and access controls to protect sensitive information and prevent unauthorized access or breaches.
Data Catalog: Establish and maintain a data catalog that provides transparency into available data assets, their lineage, and usage.
Data Stewardship: Define and assign data stewardship roles and responsibilities to ensure data ownership and accountability within the organization.
Data Lifecycle Management: Manage the entire data lifecycle, from data acquisition and integration to archiving and disposal, adhering to best practices and regulatory requirements.
Collaboration: Work closely with data engineering and data architecture teams to integrate data governance into the data infrastructure.
Data Strategy: Contribute to the development and execution of an organization-wide data strategy that aligns with business goals and supports data-driven decision-making.
Data Compliance Audits: Conduct regular data compliance audits and assessments to identify areas for improvement and implement corrective actions.
Training and Awareness: Develop and deliver training programs and awareness initiatives to promote data governance best practices among employees.
Risk Management: Identify and mitigate data-related risks and vulnerabilities, working proactively to prevent issues.
Documentation: Maintain comprehensive documentation of data governance processes and policies.
Tools and technologies
- Data Governance Tools (e.g., Collibra, Informatica Axon, IBM Data Governance)
- Data Cataloging and Metadata Management Tools (e.g., Alation, Informatica Catalog)
- Data Quality Tools (e.g., Informatica Data Quality, Talend Data Quality)
- Data Security and Access Control Solutions (e.g., Azure AD, Okta, CyberArc, HashiCorp Vault, Varonis, Symantec Data Loss Prevention)
- Compliance and Regulatory Tools (e.g., OneTrust, TrustArc, SAP GRC, RSA Archer, LogicGate)
- Data Integration and ETL Tools (e.g., Informatica PowerCenter, Talend, Apache NiFi, Apache Spark, Kafka)
- Familiarity with Cloud Platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Databases (e.g., SQL databases, NoSQL databases)
- Data Visualization Tools (e.g., Tableau, Power BI)
- Overall 12+ years of IT experience with 5+ years in Data related technologies
- 3+ years of experience in Bug Data and cloud related data services (AWS / Azure / GCP)
- Data Governance Expertise: A strong understanding of data governance principles, policies, and practices, with a focus on data quality, compliance, and security.
- Data Landscape Knowledge: Familiarity with various data technologies and their advantages and disadvantages, including relational, NoSQL, MPP, and columnar databases
- Big Data Awareness: An understanding of big data concepts, architectures, and patterns, even though the role may not involve hands-on work with big data technologies
- Cloud Experience: Exposure to cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP) and cloud data services, particularly as they relate to data governance in the cloud
- Data Catalog and Lineage: Familiarity with data cataloging and lineage tools and their use in tracking and documenting data assets.
- Data Security: Knowledge of data security practices and the ability to ensure data protection and privacy.
- Master Data Management: Understanding of master data management principles and the ability to build and maintain a customer 360-degree view
- Familiarity with data modeling concepts, including star schema, snowflakes, normalized, and denormalized models.
- Data Technologies Strategy: An excellent grasp of the data technologies landscape, including the ability to contribute to data strategies and assessments.
- Thought Leadership: A willingness to engage in thought leadership activities, such as writing blogs, delivering keynotes, participating in proof of concepts (POCs), and hackathons.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
Job Reference: JO-2310-338624
Salary: £650 - £850 per day
Salary per: zero
Job Duration: 9 Months
Job Start Date: ASAP
Job Industries: Data
Job Locations: Greater London
Job Types: Contract